Friday 1 January 2016

Old and New etc

Morning all and a happy New Year. Last night the girls and I watched " The battle of the five armies" as the old year ebbed away. It was the extended version. All in all we enjoyed it ,although Legolas hanging from a bat to fight orcs ( and some other scenes) were a tad too much. I have been driven back to read the book once more. Here is the painting tray this morning-
Middle Earth portrayed in old and new (ish) lead/plastic.Probably an indicator of the content of the blog in 2016. I am not going to commit to a scheme of work here but will see where the year takes me. ME figures for gaming (mainly solo?) as well as a few GW elves to fight the armies of others. I also intend to explore Middle Earth through some skirmish gaming using a few figures a side. I intend to try Donald Featherston skirmish rules initially but am open to other suggestions...
Enjoy your New Year's Day.
 Today we remember Mary,mother of God.

9 comments:

  1. Tradgardmastare,

    I hope that you have a great 2016.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Wishes for 2016, A New Beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fine mix of very new and very old figures. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the 5 Armies movie to be intensely annoying, and not worthy of emulation on the gaming table. I also said "meh" a lot during the new Star Wars movie, which may just be further proof that I am a curmudgeon.
    In any case, I wish you the best with the new year and with your ME project, which I am finding very inspirational.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you and yours Alan. You might find the GW lotr strategy battle game rules quite good for adventure level skirmish ( I don't normally recommend GW rules but I always found these quite entertaining). There is a copy of the manual on ebay buy it now for £7.50 post free. How did you find that US sgt major company for delivering your elves? I was thinking I might get some Dwarf Fyrd Spearmen from them as GW don't do lotr dwarf spear and your elves were quite compatible I felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sgt Major were fine to deal with. I have the Lotr GW rules which i got in the Moria box set many moons ago.I never used them much but will have a wee lookie...

      Delete
  6. I have yet to see "The Battle of Five Armies" - I didn't know if I'd want to sit through a couple of hours with little left to the story. Hve fun with your ME figures and games! I hope 2016 treats you well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Alan and I hope your Middle Earth project turns out well. I must admit, I skipped the Battle of Five Armies, mainly I suspect because there would be an awful lot of ridiculous battles. I rather disliked the more recent Narnia movie for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, that Five Armies movie has yet to hit my retinas, I'm a afraid. I was such a fan of the LotR movies, but Bilbo... meh.
    Anyway, all the best wishes for a happy new year, or (as they might say in Tradgardsland) Gott Nytt År.

    ReplyDelete