Thursday 13 August 2009

Detail...



Over the summer we have been planning our new kitchen. We hope to get one by a German compamy called Alno. Thereir motto appears to be "Der Unterschied liegt im Detail" which means "The difference is in the details."

On such a theme I have posted a photo I took at the 18th century house in Cockermouth. It's evocative detailing transported us to the past when we were there...

In the world of blogs/imaginations and tabletop armies it is the detail that makes all the difference. The touch in word or image which brings the country or army to life- little details which evoke another time or place ,which transport us ,albeit breifly,to another world.

I have loved these small things of Tradgardland (as well as those of others too) which have given me the most pleasure- thinking up a name,family traits,everyday life and so much more...

We are indebted to Phil Olley and many,many more who inspire us to add more vignettes to our armies - to have big fun in the Wee detail....

3 comments:

  1. I have particularly appreciated the details that you've posted.

    Among them is the very substantial impact that religion had on daily life. I was not raised in a particularly religious household, so I tend to overlook how important it was to many in the 18th century.

    Please do keep up your "daily life" posts.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete